USB mice

Teilhard Knight teilhk at crosswinds.net
Sat Dec 24 04:35:31 PST 2005

On 12/24/05, Teilhard Knight <teilhk at crosswinds.net> wrote:

> > > It didn't work. Actually I have a little more than a USB mouse, I have
> > > wireless mouse and wireless keyboard which are both controlled by a
> > > central
> > > unit which plugs into an USB port in the computer. The keyboard works
> > > well,
> > > with the option of booting with an USB keyboard, but I cannot make the
> > > mouse
> > > work. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Teilhard.

> > load the ums module by typing these  command. you need to be root
> > though.
> >

> > # kldload ums
> > # moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto
> >
> > then see if the mouse daemon is running using top or ps.
> >
> > ---
> > if this does not work you may have to rebuild yoru kernel with the
> > following options
> >
> > device ohci
> > device ums
> > --------------
> >
> > Thanks. Upon issuing the command:
> >
> > # kldload ums,
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > 'kldload: can't load ums: file exists'.
> >
> > But if I go to /dev, ums is not present. Are you sure kldload is the
> > right
> > command?
> >
> > Teilhard.

> i am positive.
> The message basically means that the ums module is already. You can
> check this by issuing the command
>
> # kldstat
>
> Yes, I have found it. It is under /usr/src/sys/modules. Shouldn't it be
> under /dev? The second command you ask me to perform gives an error: 'no
> such device ums0'. What should I do now?
>
> Teilhard

><From what you said earlier, i can deduce that the ums module is
*already* loaded. It seems that FreeBSD cannot de tect your mouse at
bootup. I don't really know what to do next. Could you tell me what
you get when you issue:

#  cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep ums

uname -a will tell me what version  of FreeBSD you are using

and

# uname -a

This can tell us what is detected at boot time.>

I'm having problems now. ums seems to have disappeared, at least when I go
to /usr/src/sys/modules, I cannot find it. However when I run:

# kldload ums

I get the same as before: "file exists". Konqueror cannot find ums either.
It found it when I wrote to you, but not anymore. I have been fiddling with
Konqueror manually in absence of a mouse and I highlighted the module path
to be able to read it complete and then I hit enter to leave it as it was.
Do you think I might made it hidden?

The first command you ask me to perform gives nothing under these
circumstances. uname -a, gives 'FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE', and gives the time and
says I am using the GENERIC kernel, that's all.

Teilhard.