USB mice

Teilhard Knight teilhk at crosswinds.net
Sat Dec 24 03:04:47 PST 2005

On 12/24/05, Teilhard Knight <teilhk at crosswinds.net> wrote:
> > Teilhard Knight wrote:
> >
> >> It seems to me that the way FreeBSD is catching up with new hardware
> >> leaves you unsatisfied. One has to choose, upon boot, the option to use
> >> an USB keyboard by hand, and I have found no way to make a USB mouse to
> >> work. The OS broadly supports serial mice and hardly PS/2 mice, both
> >> almost out of the market nowadays. Are USB mice supported by FreeBSD?
> >>
> >> Teilhard.
> >>

> > Currently all three systems which run FreeBSD have USB mice, two of them
> > just plain Logitech optical mouses, the third is a Logitech MX 300, but
> > every other mouse should work when you have enabled moused. Try plugin
> > in
> > the mouse when FreeBSD is up and running, it should detect it
> > automatically
>
> It didn't work. Actually I have a little more than a USB mouse, I have a
> wireless mouse and wireless keyboard which are both controlled by a
> central
> unit which plugs into an USB port in the computer. The keyboard works
> well,
> with the option of booting with an USB keyboard, but I cannot make the
> mouse
> work. Any suggestions?
>
> Teilhard.

load the ums module by typing these  command. you need to be root though.

# kldload ums
# moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto

then see if the mouse daemon is running using top or ps.

---
if this does not work you may have to rebuild yoru kernel with the
following options

device ohci
device ums

Thanks. Upon issuing the command:

# kldload ums,

I get:

'kldload: can't load ums: file exists'.

But if I go to /dev, ums is not present. Are you sure kldload is the right
command?

Teilhard.