FreeBSD router two DSL connections

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 16:21:37 PST 2005

--- Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Ted, you have to think outside the box. Life is
more than one connection. While you can't
increase the throughput of a single connection,
you can increase the throughput of your network,
which is usually the point. "Throughput" in this
context is "capacity". Throughput is not only
what you can "get" on a download; its the sum
total of all of your activites.

You "can" upload at 2Mb/s on one connection if
you balance your outbound traffic, but not
download, because while you can control where
outgoing packets are sent,  you can't control
over which pipe incoming traffic arrives.

Believe me, ted. It works. Its not "theory". Its
being done. For example a hosting ISP saturates
its pipes outgoing and has very little traffic
incoming. They can load balance in the outgoing
only direction and have all of their incoming
traffic on a single pipe and double the capacity
of their network. Since they never exceed the
incoming bandwidth of a single pipe there is no
need to balance it.

DT