what am i doing wrong?!

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Fri Dec 23 00:56:38 PST 2005

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	So far, I've upgraded my second FBSD platform to 5.4.  With
>
> # USB support
> device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> #device         ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
> device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
> 	[[ ... ]]
>
> device          uscanner        # Scanners
>
> 	builtin.  I just tried xsane again; still no devices.  I'm
> 	still minus /dev/uscanner[01].  How, pray tell,  do I create
> 	these?

Is your scanner supported or recognized? I recall having similar
problems with an Epson 2480 scanner. It was not recognized as a scanner
but using ugen0 worked. You should also check permissions on the usb
devices, otherwise you have to scan as root.

If the scanner is supported using the ugen device then it is a question
of patching a few files to get it recognized. For the Epson 2480, I
submitted this bug report:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=usb/86094

this may give you an idea of what it's about.

Cheers, Erik