libm.so.3 problem

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Dec 22 05:53:47 PST 2005

Please don't top-post.
I've reformatted the message for readability.

"Erin Fortenberry" <Erin at Fortenberry.net> writes:

> Frank Bonnet wrote:
> > Subject: libm.so.3 problem
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > I compiled xtraceroute from ports without noise but when I
> > started it I
> > get this error message.
> >
> >  > xtraceroute
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.3" not found,
> > required by
> > "libGL.so.1"
> >
> > of course this file is not present there is a libm.so.2 instead ...
> >
> > I am at 6.0-R
> >
> > any help welcome !
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Bonnet

> You need to install /usr/ports/misc/compat5x

It will solve the problem in this case, but in general the GL
libraries shouldn't depend on compat5x.  There are several ports to
get GL libraries from, but libglut, I'm pretty sure, doesn't require
the compat libraries.

A common way for this kind of problem to occur is for someone to
forget to recompile all of their ports when they upgrade from 5.x to
6.x.  Of course, it's also possible to get it by installing incorrect
versions of packages.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/