Cflags and other compiling questions.

Kristian M / Struer.Net / Drift kristian at struer.net
Thu Dec 22 03:57:32 PST 2005

Hi Folks

I'm kinda new to freebsd, i have been running Gentoo linux for a long time, and know you can optimize your programs if you compile them your self, i have already an portage collection, (witch i update with cvsup-without-gui) this works perfectly, but my question is, how can i optimize the programs?

>From gentoo, i have Cflags and march values, example, -march can be set to pentium4 if this is the kind of cpu you have, and then the programs will be compiled with optimizations for this kind of cpu. I actually dont know for sure if this helps (performance, stability, anything) but it would be nice to know.

Maybe someone can point me to some homepage or guide but it have to be simple as i dont have much time to do everything the right way, by reading all the welldocumentated stuff out there (although it would properly be for the best).

Happy holidays ;)

Regards
Kristian Mide
Denmark