Donkeys crash FreeBSD6

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Dec 22 02:17:01 PST 2005

Jay wrote:
> On 12/22/05, Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi:
>>
>>I have tried using both mldonkey and xmule on my FreeBSD6, and both are
>>able to crash the system.
>>
>>I have used mostly mldonkey, and even running only the core the system
>>crashes at unknown events: It has happened on FBSD 5.4 and 6.0 with &
>>without X and other applications running. I also suspect mldonkey to
>>have destroyed one disk.
>>
>>Yesterday I tried xmule, but it only ran 4 hours then the system crashed.
>>
>>I am fairly certain that no other program is causing the crash, it
>>happens only if one of these are running and independent on what other
>>applications are running. Without xmule or mldonkey running my system is
>>stable as rock.
>>
> In my case, it was bad capacitor on mobo which freezed system when
> there were *heavy* hdd activity.

Interesting, I can't really talk about heavy disk activity:

With mldonkey it appears to be big files, and system may run out of
memory to handle this? With xmule I see no such indication, I got just
2.5MB of an ISO. Is this a problem with all ed2k clients?

Is bittorrent more stable protocol/implementation? Which client is
recomendable?

Thanks, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org