Group membership above 15 of them

Feczak Szabolcs feczo at siodigit.hu
Wed Dec 21 10:29:57 PST 2005

Hi,

I would like to have users with more than 15 groups. The default
kern.ngroups: is 16 by default and readonly, and not even /etc/sysctl.conf
allows to modify it after reboot, although securelevel is -1. I read
somewhere
that I need the modify the source and rebuild world for this. If I put
myself
into more than 15 groups I cannot login anymore and only
sshd[52178]: initgroups(username,100): Invalid argument message
in the syslog warns me about this - I think more warnings needed
at some other point since you can easily lock out yourself from
a remote system.

So what steps should I take to let this configuration work.
Isn't there an easier way  then rebuild wolrd ?