Running qmail

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Dec 20 03:44:23 PST 2005

On 2005-12-20 12:01, Gojyo <gojyo83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I manually started qmail-smtp.
> However, even if it's running, it doesn't listen on any socket.

Please quote the original message when you reply.  I usually reply to
50-100 messages every day and this does *not* include the work-related
email traffic I get.  It so happens, mostly because of my aversion to
qmail, that I remember the original post, but you can't expect everyone
to remember everything about the original post without any sort of
context.

How did you start qmail-smtpd?  It's not supposed to work just by
running the binary as root.  The qmail documentation explains how you
can start it with tcpserver, for example.

> I think I'm missing something, but what?
> Is there some other thing that should I do?

Yes, you are indeed missing something.  The best way to find out what
you are missing is to read carefully the qmail installation guide or one
of the dozens of online tutorials about setting up qmail, i.e.:

  http://www.lifewithqmail.org/

Your question is answered in the qmail FAQ too:

  http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq.html
  http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/servers.html#tcpserver-smtpd

I hope this helps,

- Giorgos