How native is the native JDK14?

Foo Ji-Haw jhfoo at nexlabs.com
Tue Dec 20 01:53:41 PST 2005

Hi all,

I am still compiling the /usr/port/java/jdk14/, which I think is the native Java implementation. But as I see the compiling going on, I read a couple of lines saying that they are going to turn on linux binary compatibility.

My question is: did they turn it on just for the purpose of the compilation, or is jdk14/ not a real native implementation?

Anyway, I also read from www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml:

The FreeBSD Foundation has negotiated a license with Sun Microsystems to distribute FreeBSD binaries for the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and Java Development Kit (JDK). These implementations have been made possible through the hard work of the BSD Java team, and contributors (particularly WorldGate Communications, Inc.) as well as through donations to the FreeBSD Foundation that supported hardware, developer time, testing resources, and license negotiation.

Looks like getting Java is going to get easier. Yeah!