flash plugin in 6.0

Beecher Rintoul akbeech at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:12:46 PST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 07:41 am, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On 18 Dec Beecher Rintoul wrote:

> > > The only thing it doesnt do is create symbolic links which does not
> > > mark a port as BROKEN for one, secondly why would you remove your
> > > browser_plugins dir?
> >
> > That was a typo, read the followup I sent immediately following the
> > first message. Secondly putting plugins in browser_linux_plugins does
> > break firefox and mozilla. I would call that broken where I come from.
> > Users should not have to move things that were installed in the wrong
> > place. That's the job of the port.
>
> You were very quick with your correction of the typo. Faster than some
> of us read their mails ;-)
> Secondly, I totally agree to the statement that the port is "broken"
> You have too much to manually correct.
> At the time I was not aware of the facts and lost quite some time
> finding out. If you know, it's not that kind of a deal.

Even though I'm not a programmer, I'm looking into fixing that port. I've
tried contacting the maintainer and didn't get any response. If I manage to
get it working I'll file a PR. The linuxpluginwrapper has been broken since
the last upgrade, acroread way before that and it took me many hours to find
all the fixes necessary (thank you everyone who helped me with that issue).
If nothing else, I'll write all those changes into a script which will do it
automatically. I would think this would be a priority if FreeBSD is going to
be a viable desktop alternative. It's exactly this kind of situation that
causes new users to give up and go with the penguin, or worse go back to
micro$oft. I can't even tell someone to read the documentation, because there
isn't any. These fixes were scattered throughout many email threads that span
many months.

If anyone needs a copy of my work-around it can be found at:

http://akparadise.byethost33.com/freebsd/linuxpluginwrapper_how_to.txt

Just my .02

Beech

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech at gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://akparadise.byethost33.com