FreeBSD, CVS and NetApp

Scott Mitchell scott+lists.freebsd at fishballoon.org
Mon Dec 19 03:21:58 PST 2005

Hi all,

Does anyone out there have recent experience with running a CVS server on
FreeBSD, with the repository files NFS-mounted off a NetApp filer?  When I
say "server" I mean this would be a machine offering CVS access over ssh
or pserver - it would be the only machine accessing the repository files on
the NFS server, all clients would talk to the CVS server.

There are a lot of reports of CVS file corruption when using an NFS-mounted
repository.  These all seem to boil down to "we don't really know why it
happens, but it seems to be interoperability problems between NFS client
and server implementations".  There are more reports of problems when
clients access the repository directly, but it seems to still happen when
only one server machine is touching the NFS volume.  So I'm looking for
reports (good or bad) of these kinds of setup with specific FreeBSD and
NetApp versions...

Many thanks in advance,

	Scott