Value too large to be stored in data type -- gzipped tarball

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 00:24:51 PST 2005

On 12/18/05, TuxGirl <tuxgirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with tar and large files, it's synonymous with
> > what tar is used for. I think your problem is just a Linux tar to
> > FreeBSD tar quirk. I had no problems with the 3.3GB testfile I made
> > for tar and gzip to play with:
>
> I think I may have found some additional info about the problem:
> http://groups.google.com/group/list.freebsd.questions/browse_thread/thread/9234a3841dce6209/ce62e532d4e2fa0d?lnk=st&q=%22+Value+too+large+to+be+stored+in+data+type%22+freebsd&rnum=14&hl=en#ce62e532d4e2fa0d
>
> It appears that the problem has something to do with large files
> burned to DVD and read in freebsd (linux has not had a problem with
> it, from what I've seen).
>
> I've found a few articles on google and google-groups regarding this,
> but they all seem to be related to burning DVDs in FreeBSD.  It
> appears to be the same problem however...  So, I guess now my question
> is, does anybody have any great ideas for getting around this?  I was
> wondering if it's possible to use dd to copy the tarball over to my
> local drivek so that i can work with it that way.  I haven't had the
> chance yet to figure out dd well enough to know if this is possible or
> how I would do it, but it seems to be the best option i've been able
> to think of...
>
> Thanks for the help!
> ~Erin
>

>From what I've read their is a 2GB limit per file on ISO9660 file
systems. It seems as though Linux 'worked around' this limit thus
forcing you into this problem.

dd will not work for you. the only easy workaround is to mount the DVD
on a Linux box and then copy the file over the network to the FreeBSD
box, or make a new DVD. In the future make sure the files you burn to
disc are less then 2GB.

dd is for disk image stuff to see what it does and how it works read
up on mdconfig and mdmfs (man pages). you want to make file backed
(vnode) memory disks to use for playing with dd...
http://www.crazytrain.com/dd.html Also grab some floppy, hdd, or even
cd image files to play.
http://rcsg-gsir.imsb-dsgi.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/documents/advanced/node13.html
http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints/os_clone/os_cloning.html