grub doesn't know ufs filesystem

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Dec 17 09:32:29 PST 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 21:42, Micah wrote:
> I used chainloading for a while until I wanted multiple installs of
> FreeBSD on the same drive.  Using chainloading from grub always booted
> the first FreeBSD regardless of which slice was specified in menu.lst.
> Changing it to use /boot/loader allowed me to actually have more than
> one FreeBSD on the same drive.

I pretty sure you did something wrong, I've chainloaded multiple FreeBSD
slices on the same drive using Lilo and other  bootloaders.

> Also, grub places some files on a host filesystem.  It may be more
> convenient to have those files stored on UFS rather than FAT or EXT.
> In that case, if you use grub (rather than FreeBSD's manager), you'd
> have to make a partition solely for grub.

But is it a good idea for a bootloader to require external files at boot-time?

I assume there are cases were grub does things that other loaders can't, but
it seems to me that for most people booting FreeBSD it's an overcomplicated
and awkward solution.