how to dual boot

Payne payne at magidesign.com
Fri Dec 16 18:10:29 PST 2005

Jerry McAllister wrote:

>>I'm trying to get a dual boot system set up with FBSD 5.3 and Win XP sp1.
>>First I installed FBSD using 15GB of the HD, then installed XP on the
>>remaining 5GB. However now it boots up XP automatically. I can get back to
>>the FBSD installer by booting from the 5.3 CD but what do I do to provide a
>>choice of which to boot right on the HD?

Well, you could try grub, but if you want a fact way of doing, it will
cost. OS Selector from Acronis, or Boot Manager from PartitionMagic.

OS Selector

What you have to do is create a partition, about 100mb or 50mb and it
must be FAT16/32, so if your windows partitions is fats, then you don't
have to create the partition, but way it doesn't have to be first
partition, just visible to OS Selector. Once you install it will read
what OS'es you have install. It not a bad program because I have remove
freebsd, for dragonfly and PC-BSD, and didn't have to anything just
select the partition it was install on.

Boot Manager is I remember install on the master boot record and has to
be install from the windows partions. I don't like it because I have
kill a computer or two with it.

Grub has come a long way and there mail list and docs. But if you are
newbie you might want to go the route of OS Selector. Just remember that
when you install freebsd you not to select a boot manager.

Now before I get flame, I have use the freebsd boot manager BUT only
with freebsd.

Payne