how to dual boot

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Dec 16 14:17:56 PST 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 01:31 pm, Marty Landman wrote:
> I'm trying to get a dual boot system set up with FBSD 5.3 and Win XP
> sp1. First I installed FBSD using 15GB of the HD, then installed XP
> on the remaining 5GB. However now it boots up XP automatically. I can
> get back to the FBSD installer by booting from the 5.3 CD but what do
> I do to provide a choice of which to boot right on the HD?

I use the ntldr to boot my dual boots. You just have to copy boot1 onto
your c-drive and then add it to your boot.ini. You can do that from the
system applet.

I renamed boot1 to bootsect.bsd and my boot.ini is as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=4
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /f
c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"

The line should be XP Professional but all I added was the FreeBSD.
Ntldr lets you choose which one is primary and then, with a pop-down
menu, easily change it to something else.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA