SA-LEARN Keeps crashing at DBM.pm Line 624

Marc Dufresne Marc.Dufresne at parks.on.ca
Fri Dec 16 05:26:47 PST 2005

Posted this on the MailScanner Forum. I was told to post this also on
the FreeBSD Questions Forum or SpamAssassin Forum.

Hope this is the right forum!!!!

Brief History on OS I'm using.

FreeBSD 5.4
Perl 5.8.6
Installed MailScanner 4.44.6 and everything else using
Install-Clam-SA.tar.gz from
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/downloads.shtml

MailScanner, SpamAssassin and Sendmail all working fine. The only
problem I am having is with SA-LEARN.

Problem:
Since my installation of MailScanner I have always been able to use
sa-learn --spam --force-expire --mbox /var/mail/spammail with no
issues.

Over the last couple of days, when I try to run sa-learn against my
spam mailbox, I receive the following error:

sa-learn --spam --force-expire --mbox /var/mail/spammail
bayes: expire_old_tokens: Out of memory during ridiculously large
request at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore/DBM.pm
line 624.

I have tried everything to resolve this issue. As my last resort, I
installed Portmanager on FreeBSD to manage my ports tree. When I ran
Portmanager, it upgraded Perl to 5.8.7.

After the upgrade, I had to run the perl-after-upgrade utility to
ensure all of my apps see the new version of Perl. This is the commands
I used:

perl-after-upgrade
perl-after-upgrade -f

Even after the upgrade and I verified that MailScanner, SA and sendmail
were working, I ran sa-learn --spam --force-expire --mbox
/var/mail/spammail again. I still received the same error. I also have
tried to separate the commands as follows:

sa-learn --force-expire
sa-learn --spam --mbox /var/mail/spammail

It crashes with the same error after I execute the --force-expire
command.

Here are my stats for

sa-learn --dump magic
0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db
version
0.000          0       3016          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0      11613          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0     309357          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1133683248          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1134569167          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last journal
sync atime
0.000          0 1134029107          0  non-token data: last expiry
atime
0.000          0     345600          0  non-token data: last expire
atime delta
0.000          0      90997          0  non-token data: last expire
reduction count

Right  now, I'm using Portmanager -u -l upgrade all ports again and to
verify all ports are installed correctly.

I don't want to re-install Perl 5.8.7 again, since individuals have
said it might fail.

Any ideas on what I can do from here????

Marc Dufresne, Corporate IT Officer
St. Lawrence Parks Commission
13740 County Road 2
Morrisburg, ON  K0C 1X0