Order of rc file execution

Helge Preuss helge.preuss at gmx.net
Fri Dec 16 04:04:00 PST 2005

Hello,

I use a GBDE-encrypted /var partition which i attach and mount during
boot in rc.local. Now this has worked flawlessly until my last
portmanager -u run, after which the following happens during the boot
sequence:

- /etc/rc.d/ldconfig writes /var/run/ld.so.hints and
/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints
- /etc/rc.d/local attaches and mounts my encrypted /var partition
- every subsequent program fails to start up because it cannot find any
dynamic library it needs due to the hidden /var/run/ld*.so.hints

As an ugly workaround i copied the ld*.so.hints to the encrypted
/var/run, but obviously it is better to run /etc/rc.d/local before
/etc/rc.d/ldconfig. I understand I can achieve this by changing the line

    # BEFORE:  LOGIN

in local to

    # BEFORE:  ldconfig

and change the REQUIRE line too to avoid a circular dependency.

I'd just like to ask the list whether there is a way which does not
require changing system-supplied scripts. I'd prefer making my edits in
a centralized way (for instance, editing something like /etc/rc.local)
instead of something under rc.d.

Thanks

Helge

--