pine

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Dec 16 02:48:28 PST 2005

"I am able to telnet into the SMTP server on port 25 and have my way
with it"

Why, exactly, is this a security problem?  You do realize, don't you,
that mailservers do not encrypt SMTP mail when they send it to
each other.

I would be more interested, if I were you, in what banners I got by
telnetting into the POP3 and SMTP port.  Those should tell you
what the ISP is using to host e-mail, obviously if it's Microsoft
Exchange
I'd run in the opposite direction.

Ted