good nic for server??? 3com 3C2000-T driver support in freebsd 5.4 ????

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Thu Dec 15 21:51:18 PST 2005

On Dec 15, 2005, at 8:46 PM, kyr wrote:

> I want to ask if 3com 3C2000-T network adapter is suported by
> freebsd 5.4 (i know that it is suported by release 6 but our server
> has 5.4).
> Anyway does anybody have any suggestion for a good network card for
> a server?
> We DON"T need gigabit but if it worth the money ... ok

My favorite NIC is the Intel Etherexpress products. This 10/100 PCI
card is often found used for $5. IIRC back in the days when
ftp.cdrom.com was setting single-machine 24 hour anonymous ftp server
world records it was using these NICs.

Another nice thing is former FreeBSDers apparently liked it well
enough when they went to Apple that MacOS X automagically uses this
non-Mac PC card with no additional drivers or nothing.

And if one *must* use Windows the download-from-Intel drivers add
significantly more function than the default Microsoft driver, such
as VLAN support.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net