Changing shells (was: pkg_add not installing lsof (and other programs)?)

TuxGirl tuxgirl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:59:11 PST 2005

> If you install bash, be aware that you have that you have to add it
> (with it's full path, /usr/local/bin/bash) to /etc/shells befor trying
> to change your shell (with 'pw usermod yourname -s bash').

amon-re# pw usermod erins -s zsh
pw: no default shell available or defined

I've added it to /etc/shells:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/shells,v 1.5 2000/04/27 21:58:46 ache Exp $
#
# List of acceptable shells for chpass(1).
# Ftpd will not allow users to connect who are not using
# one of these shells.

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/tcsh
/usr/local/bin/zsh
/usr/local/bin/rzsh
/usr/local/bin/bash

When I log in as my user (erins), if I run ps, it shows sh as the
shell running.  Am I missing an important step someplace here?