Polling For 100 mbps Connections? (Was Re: Freebsd Theme Song)

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 11:42:31 PST 2005

--- Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Yes, going into livelock for a moment is better
than dropping a bucket of packets. If your
machine is in constant livelock, then its too
slow and it doesn't matter whether you run
polling or interrupts; you need a new machine.

You also can't grasp the point that clock ticks
do more than just poll, you're forcing a LOT of
other stuff to get done a lot more often than
necessary. You also don't understand that polling
occurs MILLIONS of times per second on machines
that aren't loaded. The HZ setting is the minimum
number of polls per second. Its a perfect example
of using a setting without having any idea how it
works just because some idiot falsely claimed it
was better without really testing it.

> >> I've read those datasheets as well and the
> >> thing I
> >> don't understand is that if you are pumping
> >> 100Mbt
> >> into an Etherexpress Pro/100 then if the
> card
> >> will
> >> not interrupt more than this throttled rate
> you
> >> keep
> >> talking about, then the card's interrupt
> >> throttling
> >> is going to limit the inbound bandwidth to
> >> below
> >> 100Mbt.
> >
> >Wrong again, Ted. It scares me that you
> consider
> >yourself knowlegable about this. You can
> process
> >#interrupts X ring_size packets; not one per
> >interrupt. You're only polling 1000x per
> second
> >(or whatever you have hz set to), so why do
> you
> >think that you have to interrupt for every
> packet
> >to do 100Mb/s?
>
> I never said anything about interrupting for
> every
> packet, did I?  Of course not since I know what
> your talking about.

You said that the throttled interrupts would keep
the controller from being able to do full
100Mb/s, which is wrong. So why don't you just
explain what you meant by that.

Your not knowledgable or reasonable Ted. You just
want me to be wrong, so there's no sense arguing
religion.

Why don't you ask Matt Dillon about interrupt
moderation vs polling, since I'm sure everyone
will agree that he's a lot smarter than you, if
you don't believe that I am.

DT