dvdrecord?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Dec 15 08:46:54 PST 2005

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
[ ... ]
>> I use growisofs to burn database backup files to DVD-R on a regular
>> basis.  The port name, dvd+rw-tools, is a little misleading in this
>> regard.
>>
> i'n now writing DVD-R from image with it, now 800MB and still going.
> anyway it can't record DVD-R from pipe, and can't have extra RAM buffer.
>
> dvdrecord CAN write from pipe in -dao mode if size is entered in options
>
> i were using that script:
>
> mkisofs -rq -jcharset iso8859-2 . 2>/dev/null| \
>  dvdrecord $* -v tsize=`mkisofs -rq -jcharset iso8859-2 --print-size .`
>  x2k -delay=5 driveropts=burnfree -dao -
>
> to write directly files in dao mode to DVD-R.

On burners which do not have buffer-underrun correction capabilities (ie,
"BurnProof", "JustLink", etc), trying to create the ISO image on the fly and
pipe it to the burning process can result in coasters.  YMMV, but I prefer to
create the .ISO image seperately, and confirm it contains what I think it should
contain seperately, before trying to burn it.

However, there's room for more tools in ports, so if you like dvdrecord enough
to want to use it under FreeBSD, why not port it yourself?

--
-Chuck