pkg_add not installing lsof (and other programs)? (newbie problem)

TuxGirl tuxgirl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:39:11 PST 2005

Hello,

I installed FreeBSD for the first time tonight (I've been running
Linux for a while), and I seem to be misunderstanding pkg_add.  I'm
following the instructions in the FreeBSD manual, and I ran:

# pkg_add -r lsof

It claimed to succeed:
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/Latest/lsof.tbz...
Done

then:
# lsof
lsof: Command not found.

# echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/R6/bin:/root/bin

# uname -a
FreeBSD .hsd1.ut.comcast.net. 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu
Nov 3 09:36:13 UTC 2005
root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC   i386

This is a brand new install.  I did an install earlier this evening,
but had this problem there, so I decided to try fresh and follow the
manuals more closely.  This is the first command I ran after logging
into the box.

I'd be happy to provide any additional information that could help.

Thanks for the help.  I would appreciate it greatly if you could
please CC me on replies, as I'm not yet on this mailing list.

Thanks,
~Erin