New to FreeBSD, need some questions answered

Gayn Winters gaynw at bristolsystems.com
Wed Dec 14 20:17:20 PST 2005

Windows is PATA
> (IDE, but I'm sure you all knew that).  I've been reading through the
> Handbook, but I don't see in there how to configure the bootloader to
> boot Windows.  I'd like very much to use the bootloader as
> I'm sick of going into CMOS every time and changing the "first" drive
in
> the system so that I get the OS I want.  Please help.

You mean you got through the install and when you were asked on which
slice you wanted to install FreeBSD you were only offered the choice of
the SATA drive?

If you have a working FreeBSD system, what does dmesg say?  What does
fdisk (from inside FreeBSD) say?  They both only see the SATA drive?

Boot the system from DOS and run DOS's fdisk; what does it say?

If all the FreeBSD utilities can see the SATA but not the PATA drive,
then I'd check the cable and the jumpers on the PATA drive.  Be sure the
jumper is NOT set to Cable Select.

Once you can see both drives, just answer "yes" to installing the
FreeBSD boot loader during installation.  If you don't want to
reinstall, read man boot0cfg.

Welcome and good luck,

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.