fquestions

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed Dec 14 14:07:28 PST 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 12:57 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Not to hijack my own thread, but will this NEC DVD burner
> 	work:
>
> It is the NEC 3550 we also have the LiteON 1693 same price.
>
> 	It isn't life/death that I get a "burner", but rather than
> 	getting a CDROM burneer, I thought I'd buy something cutting
> 	edge for a change!
>
> 	gary'
>
> 	PS:  The web company is
>
>    eCollegePC.com
>
> 	so if anybody  onlist has some stormwarnings, now's the
> 	time for Bail-Out advice!

I have 2 16x, dual layer, DVD burners. A Sony and a LiteOn. I couldn't
find the boxes, and I'm not going to pull them out to look :).

The Sony seems to want to burn CDs at 42x and the LiteOn, day in and day
out, burns at 48x. The LiteOn is on a 2800+ XP AMD. I have 16x media
for the DVD burner but have only used 8x so far on the Sony. It is on a
1600+ XP. That translates into 11MB/sec. When I backed up ~4GB of
digital photos from my Canon Digital Rebel, I needed around 10 minutes.
It was much faster than I expected and I didn't time the operation.

This is also only under Windows XP. The systems boot 6-stable and XP-Pro
but the files I need to burn only exist on XP. I don't expect a problem
from either on the FreeBSD side. I just happen to like Nero and the
choices on FreeBSD are quite different. I make the system fit the
project and not force the project onto a system.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA