fquestions

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Dec 14 12:18:52 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 02:44:40PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>You forgot to tell us which VIA chipset or MB-- there are lots and
> >>lots of VIA-based motherboards around, with a wide variety of
> >>hardware.
> >
> >	Here's the URL on the board.  It looks okay, but then it was
> >	written by salesmen:).   I'm flying blind here.
> >
> >http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?
> >DetailID=358&MenuID=22&LanID=2
>
> The onboard graphics is "embedded UniChromeII 3D Graphics, 64M share
> memory", which I do not believe is supported well under X11, you're
> better off getting a real video card unless you're going to be
> working remotely or headless.

	This is very helpful because my tube will do 1600x1200 or so
	and I'd like something more than 1024c768!  1280x1024 is about
	right.  I'm running most things thru a KVM device which means
	that I need good X support.

> The embedded AC97 audio controller probably will work, though, as
> should the onboard VT6103 NIC.

	I'm considering two Intel Pro 10/100s.  This new box will be
	set up as my back-up DNS server.  If the VT6103 will serve my
	router, then I could buy just one of the Intel NIC, right?

> >	My hardware days date from the Vax 11/70, and it's hard to
> >	keep track.  But here's another question:  What's wrong with
> >	the Celeron?  The "better" Intel would be another $100.
>
> The Celeron's have about half to 1/4th as much L2 cache as the better
> CPU.  For some specific tasks, like pure routing, it won't matter,
> but for almost anything else a P3 is a much better performer.

	Thanks for the clue; I'd either forgotten or didn't know.
	I expect to be pushing this box pretty hard--especially
	if it has to run my DNS too, so L2 is important.

> >	Re the Athlon, yes, it is a bit less, but doesn't it run
> >	hotter than the Intel?  Half of my platforms are Celeron
> >	and I push them hard, but if AMD is just as good, then that's
> >	the way to go.
>
> It depends on the AMD model, the Semprons are going to run around
> 40W, whereas the older Althons and the Barton cores are in the
> mid-60W range.  I've got a 80mm fan on my AMD3200+ Barton, but it
> runs cooler than a similar 2.4GHz P4 box.  Most P4's want 70W or
> more, but on the other hand, the Celerons and P3's are around 35W.

	Well, I asked for two fans, but the guy said all his boxes
	come with dual fans.  All he has is 3/3+GHz chips.  This helps
	a lot.  I have a question about a NEC DVDburner, but the
	motherboard first.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix