next question: dvd-burner.

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Dec 14 12:17:37 PST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:57:52 +0100
Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/14/05, Mark Kane <mark at mkproductions.org> wrote:
> > Gary Kline wrote:
> > >       I'm adding a DVD burner to my planned new platform.
> > >       Since this is new technology, how careful do I have to
> > >       be?  In other words, does FreeBSD support most burners?
> > >       Looks like the DVD/CDRW burner is a NEC...  I'll 2-check.
> > >
> > >       thanks in advance,
> > >
> > >       gary
> > >

> > So far I've had good luck with both DVD burners I've tried in
> > FreeBSD. One was an old Sony DRU500A and the latest one that I have
> > in two FreeBSD machines now is:
> >
> > acd0: DVDR <LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S/KS04> at ata1-slave PIO4
> >
> > The Sony finally died a few months ago after being in use since
> > 2002. I replaced it with the LITE-ON and it has been working great.
> >
> > -Mark
> >
> > --
> > GnuPG Public Key:
> > http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc
> >
> > Internet Radio:
> > Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
> > Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net
> >
> > IRC:
> > MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)
> >

> Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I think you won't need a device driver
> for a dvd burner...
> It's just an atapi device, and there's a standard telling how to write
> data to it..
>
> Please correct me....
>

> --
> Pietro Cerutti
> <pietro.cerutti at gmail.com>
>
> Beansidhe - SwiSS Death / Thrash Metal
> <www.beansidhe.ch>

Like Mark, I have experience with Sony and Lite-On models. No
additional drivers were needed to read from the DVD burners.

To burn to the DVD burner, however, the user will need to
recompile the kernel with atapicam and install dvd+rw-tools, which is
in the ports. (The name of the port is misleading, as the port also
burns other DVD formats in addition to +RW.) I still use cdrecord to
burn CD's on the DVD burner.

Chapter 16 of the online hanbook has a section regarding DVD's:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html

Andrew