FreeBSD router two DSL connections

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Dec 13 21:51:26 PST 2005

NO.

As I pointed out the MOST COMMON failure mode on DSL is SLOWNESS
not DISCONNECTS.  If you have a 2N connection and one of the DSL
modems starts going gunnysack, you are really going to have to
know your stuff to be able to detect this and fix it.  If the modem
picks 9:35pm at night to do this, or some other inconvenient time,
like seems to be the normal time for failures to happen, I
guarentee your not going to get anyone at the ISP who knows
shit from shinola to help you, and your going to be spinning your
wheels.

For the fabled Internet Cafe, really and truly and honestly, the
crude solution that the previous owner worked out is the best -
it is easy for relatively unsophisticated people (such as the
minimum wage high school student you hired to watch the place
after school) to troubleshoot, it is easy to get assistance from
the ISP on the failed leg, since the configuration is very basic and
standard, and it is dirt cheap.

I realize the temptation to mess with a running setup is strong,
and the temptation to change around something you buy so as to
put your own stamp on it is even stronger.  But it is a great way
to have terrible monsters come storming out of the closet that
the existing config was developed to work around.

>I'd personally go with the 2N connection.  Almost all the time it would
>be better.  Most large ISPs, for a little more money of course, will
>give you a faster response time on repairs.  The ISP might even provide
>a bank of modems and you could implement multilink PPP as your backup.

2N is great if you need to ship large data items around and your site
is way far away from the DSLAM.  But it is more complex and so you
need to be using it when the big guns both at the ISP and the
organization
are not in bed - meaning 9-5 - so that if problems happen they are
available to get them solved.  Think office environments for this.

Ted