can't mount msdos fs on freebsd6?

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Tue Dec 13 09:08:58 PST 2005

Strange, but I can mount an ntfs filesystem (dual boot machine) but not the
fat32 partition on a new freebsd 6.0 installation. The drive contains three
paritions:

/dev/ad0s1 -- 30GB NTFS (winxp) mounted on /winxp
/dev/ad0s2 -- 30GB FAT32 (data to be accessed by both winxp and freebsd 6.0)
mount point /data
/dev/ad0s3 -- 30GB UFS (or whatever freebsd's file systems are)
/ad0s3(blah,blah,blah)

The results I get back from mount are:

mothra# mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s2 /data
mount_msdosfs: /dev/ad0s2: Invalid argument
mothra#

I don't get it. it's a fat32 partition (formatted using winxp -- default
block size). Is there anything I'm missing here? It IS the second slice on
the drive. Do I need to make the filesystem using FreeBSD? There must be
some simple thing I'm not doing correctly, yes?

Help?

---
Jeff D. Hamann
Forest Informatics, Inc.