moused hanging

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 03:13:11 PST 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Anthony Agelastos <iqgrande at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> For an unknown reason, my mouse lately has been hanging. It has
>> hung with
>> X11 running and without X11 running. To fix it, I get to a prompt
>> (usually
>> via Ctrl+Alt+F1 as it tends to happen primarily when in X) and, as
>> root, I
>> execute
>>
>> % kill mousedPID
>> % moused -p /dev/psm0
>> % vidcontrol -m on
>>
>> and, if there is music playing, it slurs for several seconds when I
>> initially move the mouse, and then it is back to working along
>> with the
>> mouse. If memory serves, this problem started occurring when I
>> configured
>> the mouse to use the scrollwheel. To do this, I followed the
>> instructions
>> per the FreeBSD FAQ.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#X-AND-
>> WHEEL
>>
>> What the FAQ mentions is only related to X11. It has failed on me
>> once when
>> I booted up FBSD prior to any startx-type of command being run. I
>> have been
>> running the same version of 6.0-STABLE for over a month now and
>> this problem
>> has started noticeably occurring a couple of weeks ago. Does
>> anyone have any
>> ideas? Some additional pertinent information is below. Thank you
>> to everyone
>> who helps and has helped make FreeBSD a great community.
>
> It sounds like it might be an interrupt issue.
> Is the mouse sharing an interrupt with anything?
How could I check that? I do apologize for my ignorance with this.

>>> uname -a
>> FreeBSD ast.home.iq 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Sat Nov  5
>> 21:29:34
>> EST 2005     root at ast.home.iq:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IQKERNEL  i386
>>> moused -p /dev/psm0 -i type
>> sysmouse
>>> cat /etc/rc.conf | grep moused
>> moused_enable="YES"
>> moused_type='auto'
>> moused_port='/dev/psm0'
>>
>> I wanted to mention here that when I change moused_type from auto
>> to ps/2,
>> it appears to behave more stable. However, in doing this, the
>> scrollwheel
>> ceases to work in X11. I wanted to also mention that I checked out
>> the FAQ,
>> Google, and the Handbook and came up empty with all of them .
>
> I'm not surprised; I don't think I've heard of this behaviour before.

Prior to your email, I decided to update my 6.0-STABLE box to a newer
version of 6.0-STABLE and, so far anyways, it seems to have fixed the
problem. Thank you for your reply. I would still like to know the
question I asked above regarding the interrupts if at all possible.