Lousy network performance ...

Kiffin Gish kiffin at gish.demon.nl
Tue Dec 13 01:15:50 PST 2005

I am having problems with a slow Internet DSL-connection, especially while
surfing around the web.

My service-provider claims that his network is just fine (of course!) and
that the problem is because of all the 'so-called junk' I have configured on
my home network on my side of the connection.

On my side of the adsl-modem/router I have a router which is connected
directly to two Windows XP desktops, via a switch to two FreeBSD machines
(webserver and fileserver) and via a wireless link my combo FreeBSD/Windows
XP laptop. I have Samba running for file exchange bweteen the Windows and
FreeBSD boxes and I have port 80 opened on the adsl-moden/router to allow
access to a couple of web sites I am running.

Is there some kind of way to prove my ISP is wrong by doing a trace? What
tools are available? How can I demonstrate that the bottleneck is not my
home network but the DSL-connection?

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Kiffin Rex Gish