FreeBSD router two DSL connections

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Dec 12 22:19:14 PST 2005

Sigh.

THIS IS NOT LOAD BALANCING PLEASE QUIT BEING SLOPPY WITH YOUR
NETWORKING TERMS!!!!

I refer you to the pfsense website itself:

http://faq.pfsense.org/index.php?sid=13525&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=6&i
d=18&artlang=en

"Load balancing is on per connection basis, not a bandwidth basis.  All
packets in a given flow will go over only one link."

In other words, they are redefining the term "load balancing" into
something that is not understood by any previously accepted definition
of load balancing, so that people like you can think your getting
something for nothing.

Once more - FTP to a remote site with your dual DSL links.  Copy
a FreeBSD ISO file to there.  Watch as the upload speed IS NO FASTER
THAN ONE OF THE LINKS.

Load balancing is accomplished with multilink PPP and that is in
FreeBSD, I have run it before over dual modem links and it works
great.  But the links must terminate at the same ISP.

Ted