FreeBSD starter machine

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Dec 12 16:19:36 PST 2005

> On 12/13/05, Chris Whitehouse <chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > A way to use your current machine for both operating systems without
> > dual booting is to install a second hard disk, install FreeBSD and
> > select which to boot from in the bios. It's a slight faff changing boot
> > disk but works fine and keeps the OS's completely separate.
> >

> Could you please tell me the problems which could rise using dual boot?
>
> I really can't imagine any, since the two (or more) OSes are on
> different slices, and can't interfere which each other in any way.

You are right.   I have had no problems at all.
The only problem might come if you want to read/write the other
slice from the FreeBSD slice and that is a matter of getting the
stuff correctly specified - except FreeBSD can only read but not
write NTFS type file systems.  It can both read and write other MS
filesystems.

The only other controversey is over which MBR to use.   I get along just
fine using the plain MBR that comes with FreeBSD, but some folk can't handle
their MS bootable NTFS slice being labeled ??? (entirely appropriate as I
see it...) and they have to plug in some other MBR such as Grub so they
can specify their own labels.   Do whichever you want.   It all works well.

////jerry