FreeBSD as nis client using Linux nis server

Julian D. Seifert alamar at alamar.org
Mon Dec 12 11:55:36 PST 2005

Hi List,

I was told there are no bigger problems using nis with Linux as server
so i tried to configure my Freebsd6.0 to use my Linux nis server.
(Linux 2.6.12 Debian sarge ypserv 2.14

I followed the advises from:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nis.html
on how to configure fbsd as nis client.

I used "vipw" to change the passwd file and added the correct number
of ":".

ypcat passwd works fine - ypbind is running

rc.conf:
nis_client_enable="YES"
nisdomainname="seifert.lan"
rpcbind_enable="YES"

nsswitch.conf:
group: compat
group_compat: nis
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis

The problem is I can't login as an user that wasn't locally added.
User foo exists on the nis server. On all other machines I can login as
foo without any problems. My freebsd denies access for user foo.
On the consoel with "login incorrect" and when I try to login using ssh
I get an error:
Dec 12 19:56:49 miraculix sshd[609]: error: PAM: authentication error
for illegal user foo from stronghold.seifert.lan

bye,

	 Julian `alamar` Seifert

--
Where patience fails, force prevails.

gpg fingerprint:
435D DDDA 251B 9D70 2F72 78E0 AA5F 11F4 A4ED 451E