SCP!

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Dec 12 11:27:42 PST 2005

Joshua Lewis wrote:

>>From what i gather scp is a pull type method (for lack of a better term) I
>use scp from the computer I want the data pulled to.
>
>My problem is I am at a Windows XP system using putty and I can't "pull"
>the data because putty signs me into the freebsd system. So if I were to
>use SCP I would be pulling to the freebsd system becuase I am signed in
>with Putty right?
>
>So how do I sign on to freebsd and then scp the folder to the windows
>machine? more like a push.
>
>Any thoughts? Sorry if I seem abrupt I in a bit of a pickle.
>
>Thank you,
>Joshua Lewis

Well, maybe it's abrupt; I don't see a clear description of
the problem you are having, but it seems you want to
perform an encrypted file transfer?

You mention PuTTY;  IIRC, Mr. Tatham had also written
"psftp", which came with a complete installation of
PuTTY and enacted file transfer via SSH protocols
on Windows.  So, from the "cmd" shell on WinXP, you
could utilize psftp to grab files from your FreeBSD server.
"psftp" is probably also available (seperately) from the
FTP site at:

    ftp://chiark.greend.org.uk/users/sgtatham

That'd be a "pull".   There are plenty of other possibilities,
I'd think, also.  As an example, many Windows FTP clients
support SFTP, which operates as an SSH subsystem on
FreeBSD, and if you can use PuTTY to log in to a FBSD box,
then you should be able to use one of these to "pull" data, as
well.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
Political speeches are like steer horns.  A point
here, a point there, and a lot of bull in between.