Detect hardware changes

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Dec 12 07:08:17 PST 2005

Keith Bottner wrote:

>Ok I find the lines that related to skc in the /var/run/dmesg.boot and they
>are included below:
>
>skc0: <Linksys EG1032 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
>0xfbfffc00-0xfbfffcff irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci2
>skc0: failed: rid 0x10 is ioport, requested 3
>device_attach: skc0 attach returned 6
>
>The second line says failed but I don't where it says anything regarding
>why. Any ideas?

Well, it *does* say why, you just don't understand what it is saying.
Nor do I ;-)

I suggest you try on the hardware list, try filing a PR, or be bold and
email the author of the driver.  PR is probably the recommended route,
but don't quote me.

Just to be clear, if the device is not attaching then nothing you do
with pciconf or in any config file will make any difference.

You could also try:
    google for your specific error "rid 0x10 is ioport"

    If this is 5.4, try downloading and booting from 6.0 CD (just CD1
should be required) and see if that spots it.  When you get into
sysinstall you can hit "Pause" then "Page Up" to see the boot log.
    If this is 6.0 then vice versa!  Your card is listed as apparently
5.4 compatible, but manufacturers just go and change things so cards
which worked in one revision, fail in another.

--Alex