Lost BOOT menus

Harley D. Eades III hde at foobar-qux.org
Mon Dec 12 05:31:38 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 13:53 +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Hello.
> After some tests and investigations and fiddling around with RAID and
> partitioning, I lost the boot menu that is shown when FreeBSD 6.0 starts
> up. Can anyone help me and tell how to reinstall? Thanks.
Check the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-blocks.html

IIRC this should work,

<quote>

Example 12-2. boot2 Screenshot

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
If you ever need to replace the installed boot1 and boot2 use
disklabel(8):

# disklabel -B diskslice

where diskslice is the disk and slice you boot from, such as ad0s1 for
the first slice on the first IDE disk.

        Dangerously Dedicated Mode: If you use just the disk name, such
        as ad0, in the disklabel(8) command you will create a
        dangerously dedicated disk, without slices. This is almost
        certainly not what you want to do, so make sure you double check
        the disklabel(8) command before you press Return.

</quote>

But, read through the bootlabel(8) man to be sure.

Cheers
Harley