FreeBSD starter machine

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sun Dec 11 21:01:32 PST 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Matt S. Gann wrote:

> I have a few questions about FreeBSD.  I am just beginning to get
> into UNIX.  I know a few line commands, but really want to get
> familiar and comfortable with the OS.  I have been intrugued by
> FreeBSD for many years now, but I own a windows-based PC and am not
> keen about running dual OS's.  I would like to get a cheap, used,
> small desktop or laptop to "tinker" with Unix/Linix and FreeBSD.
> However, I know little to nothing about system requirements and/or
> hardware compability.  I was thinking of an old 486 or Pentium 1 to
> get started.  Any thoughts on what I could start with?

Please press Return (or Enter) every once in a while. Your message was
one long line.

As for the question, I think you'd want a relatively "modern" machine to
start with; in your example, I'd go with the Pentium over the 486. But
either one might give you grief. I've had problems installing "late
model" FreeBSD on truly ancient hardware, so I'd suggest you go with
something that's not too long in the tooth. The website recommendations
regarding CPU, RAM and disk space are really bare minima; in reality,
you can't have too much of any of these, just as with any OS. Here's a
comparison of extremes: I built my newest machine earlier this year with
a 3.4GHz P4, 1GB of RAM and 160GB disk. My oldest machine dates from the
late 1990s and has a 266MHz AMD K6-2, 32 MB of RAM, and 4GB of disk. The
old machine works fine, but building anything is excruciatingly slow.

I think you're right about not being "keen about running dual OS's" - I
prefer to keep one OS per machine. Lots of people dual-boot with no
problem, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's a personal
preference issue.

Here's a thought: Since it's the holiday season, many retailers are
offering deals on new computers. If your current Win* box is a few years
old, how about upgrading to a new machine? Once your stuff is tranferred
over, install FreeBSD on the old machine. At least you'll get known-good
hardware (assuming everything worked before), and it will be somewhat
modern since your current box is probably not more than three to five
years old.  Also, since the box is not brand-new, there's a good chance
that the hardware is fully supported under FreeBSD - it sometimes takes
a little time before the newest hardware is useable under FreeBSD,
depending on what it is.

Good luck, and welcome to sanity :^)

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]