_still_ looking for FreeBSD dvd ripping software...

Aaron Peterson lloyd.peterson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 20:02:46 PST 2005

> > In the windows world I used dvd decrypter.  It output .iso files directly,
> > and it supported removing macrovision (and most importantly) removing
> > prohibited user actions ( PUA / PUO ).
> >
> > I cannot find anything like this for FreeBSD.  I asked previously, and was
> > shown sysutls/dvdbackup.  This program is extremely limited, has no
> > macrovision or PUA functionality, _and_ does not output ISO files.  I know
> > I can take its output and re-form it back to an ISO, but I bet it is not
> > the same as a direct ISO.  And a perfect copy is important to me.
> >
> > So, does anyone know of any _decent_ way to rip a dvd _directly_ to an ISO
> > on FreeBSD, and that also supports advanced features like I mention above?
> >
> > (a linux program that could be run under binary compatibility would be
> > fine with me ...)

> lxdvdrip works well. And ShrinkTo5 should be ported over to linux soon.
> once that happens we should have a very good program to use.

Ripping a dvd to an image that can be burned to a writable dvd is not
a cut and dried procedure for a number of reasons.  I have used a
number of tools on bsd to get the job done in various circumstances.
The tools I've used include vobcopy, mplayer/mencoder, transcode (for
tcrequant), mjpeg-tools (for mplex), dvdauthor, and growisofs.  I have
also used dvdrip with some success.  Hope this information moves you
in the right direction.

Aaron