Downgrade a port

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 12:18:13 PST 2005

On Sunday 11 December 2005 11:55, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Well, still haven't solved my problem with reaching kern.openfiles limit
> since upgrading several packages. I posted that last week and received
> some ideas. The /var had several problems, so I went to single user mode
> this weekend and cleaned it up, all other parts clean. So, I am now
> considering downgrading ports that were upgraded in an attempt to solve
> the issue. Stopping and starting Postfix will relieve the issue, if done
> every 10 minutes. I have tried 'make deinstall' and reinstalling
> Postfix, but this was upgraded from 2.2.x to 2.2.6, very minor. So,
> maybe the culprit is amavisd-new. Of all the packages that were upgraded
> at the time the problem started, this one was the most major coming from
> 2.2.1 to 2.3.3. All ports were upgraded via portupgrade, I can't seem to
> find how to get 2.2.1 loaded in the ports system, can someone help?
>
> Also, if anyone has another idea on my core issue, I have used lsof and
> most files open on the system are of the smtp and smtpd processes.
>
> --
> Robert

Here is how you can bring all ports back to a prior day:

make install sysutils/portmanager

mv /usr/ports /usr/ports.CURRENT
mkdir /usr/ports.PREVIOUSDATE
ln -sv /usr/ports.PREVIOUSDATE /usr/ports
ln -sv  /usr/ports.CURRENT/distfiles  /usr/ports.PREVIOUSDATE/distfiles

below set what ever date you want

*default host=cvsup17.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default tag=.
*default delete
*default compress
*default date=2005.11.08.12.00.00
ports-all

run cvsup on the above file and you will have a back dated ports tree

run portmanager -u -l -ip sysutils/portmanager

(the -ip portmanager is so you don't set it back to a previous date)

portmanager will backdate all installed ports to the date of your previousdate
port tree.

When you want to move forward just swap the links between ports.PREVIOUSDATE
and ports.CURRENT then update with either portmanager or portupgrade if you
prefer.

-Mike