Freebsd Theme Song

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 07:51:55 PST 2005

--- David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

> Danial Thom wrote:
>
> > developers that is lost. Their "theory" on
> how to
> > build a better mousetrap for MP is completely
> > wrong, and now they're going to try something
> > else, using the entire FreeBSD community as
> > guinea pigs. First 5.4 was the answer. Then
> 6.0.
> > Now it looks like 6.0 sucks too. Its a damn
> > shame.
>

> Question: how's DragonFly looking on this
> score? I realise it's not
> production ready, but the project intrigues me.

For UP, they are about the same as Freebsd,
performance-wise. DP DFKY is already much better,
at least from a consistency standpoint. With
FreeBSD some things are actually slower DP than
UP. At least DFLY has somewhat linear
performance, although far from optimal. Of course
FreeBSD has more bells and whistles that work, as
DFLY is not focused on features at the moment.

Of course Matt is difficult to convince of
anything, and he's trying to do everything by
himself. He has tremendous strengths but will
never admit to his areas of weakness, which is a
big problem. But I think fundamentally their
approach is a good one. Its going to be a lot
easier for DFLY to adjust on the fly then
FreeBSD. FreeBSD is just a big mess, IMO. But I
may retire before either of them are what they
hope to be. And I'm not that old :-)

anyone tested OPenBSD lately?

DT