Flash no longer displayed in Firefox

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Dec 10 18:53:29 PST 2005

On Saturday 10 December 2005 02:45 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 05:10:21PM +0100, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:36:28 -0800
> >
> > "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Good information!  To automate this with portmanager you can add
> > > the following two lines to pm-020.conf:
> > >
> > > #below must be on one line
> > > STOP|/www/linuxpluginwrapper rm
> > > STOP|-R /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_linux_plugins && ln
> > > -s /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_linux_plugins|
> >
> > YEAH, the information is good, except for the symlinked
> > browser_plugins. You should not do this. That is, when I'd done
> > this this week, mozilla wouldn't start anymore. Error 76 on X. It
> > stook me quite some time to find out that the symlinked plugins dir
> > was to blame. I removed the browser_linux_plugins and mozilla
> > worked again. All plugins just are in browser_plugins. Having a
> > REAL browser_linux_plugin dir does not harm the system.
>
> 	Ya know, I'm almost to the point where I'd pay real money to
> 	be able to play  real, windows, and mp? files ((audioo))
> 	with mozilla andor firefox.  It's hopeless.  Even on my
> 	ubuntu testbox, the config messes up. When realplayer can
> 	play dog/doze media, they get 5 gold stars.
>
> 	(*sigh*)

One of the sad parts is that half of the real plugins for firefox are
only available on Windows 2000/XP.

You have all of these sites that don't test their web pages via a modem
and then, can't understand when people are unhappy because their flash
features take 5 minutes to start doing something. Last I read was that
only 15% or so of the people have DSL or faster. The other 85% are
being ignored.

I maintain the computers in a genealogy center. I have to wait until
people are through before I can become the administrator and update the
virus signatures. While I am waiting, I listen to music on my mp3
player and watch what people are doing. I think most of the people
start fiddling with the mouse after 20 seconds of inactivity and after
20 more seconds, you have lost them.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart