A stupid 64bit question ... but ...

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 08:40:35 PST 2005

--- Parv <parv at pair.com> wrote:

> in message
> <7ab0fd580512042313k15a93166i at mail.gmail.com>,
> wrote Guillaume R. thusly...
> >
> > 2005/12/5, David O'Brien
> <obrien at freebsd.org>:

> were 64bit ... now,
> reporting:

> i386-freebsd-64int
> > > Perl won't be reporting a 64-bit capable
> machine, when running a
> > > 32-bit OS.  Look in /var/run/dmesg for 'AMD
> Features' to report
> > > 'LM' (long mode).
> >
> > So why there is a 64int? We can suppose that
> perl has seen that
> > Marc's proc is a 64 one no?  I asked that
> cause I got a 64bits
> > (amd) which run on a 32 bits mode and I got
> oftenly such
> > "i386-freebsd-64amd"
>
> By chance any of you built the Perl w/
> USE_64_BIT_INT option? See
> "perl -V".

64 bit integers are a data type and have zippo to
do with 64bit mode operations. Of course a 64bit
processor can handle a 64bit integer in one
operation whereas its more complicated on a 32bit
CPU, but the entire point of a compiler or
interpretor is to make such things transparent to
the user. All the message means is that PERL is
compiled to recognize the data type.

DT