64bit

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 08:35:09 PST 2005

--- RW <list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 December 2005 05:33, K P wrote:
> > hello,
> > i just got AMD Athlon 64bit but i want to
> know that FreeBSD for AMD64 port
> > will work at 64bit mode or it is 32bit and
> just will work in 64bit arch?
>
> i386 works in 32-bit mode,  AMD64 works in 64
> bit mode.
>
> If it's going to be a desktop, be aware that
> some important ports don't work
> on the latter.

I've yet to see any real evidence that 64-bit
mode has any advantage at all, and I've seen lots
of evidence that its a lot slower than 32-bit
mode. It may be one of those things like putting
32" tires on your car; It might seem like a good
idea on paper but in practice it falls on its
face. I suspect that that larger data structures
reduce the usefulness of the caches and the
negatives end out signficantly outweighing the
positives.

Unless you just need to do some 64bit
multiplication of course.

DT