resolve appends domain section of hostname to non-existent domains

Ruben Bloemgarten rubenl at bloemgarten.demon.nl
Sat Dec 10 08:18:55 PST 2005

Hi all,

Could anyone let me know what's misconfigured here:

When I ping from say server2 # ping jkhdsfkhdsafhjsahfdhksa.com I get the
following reply :

PING jkhdsfkhdsafhjsahfdhksa.com.mydomain2.com (ip.of.server.1): 56 data
bytes

64 bytes from ip.of.server.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.594 ms

64 bytes from ip.of.server.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.427 ms

The same happens from server1; it appends it's domain name to the incorrect
domain

# ping jkhdsfkhdsafhjsahfdhksa.com

PING jkhdsfkhdsafhjsahfdhksa.com.mydomain1.com (ip.of.server.1): 56 data
bytes

64 bytes from ip.of.server.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.594 ms

64 bytes from ip.of.server.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.427 ms

Server2 is running multiple jails behind ipf/ipnat on 5.4-Release.

Server1 is not running jails or ipf/nat. on 5.2.1-Current

Server1 responds on both systems, which are in the same subnet at the same
colo.

A dig from both systems does reply correctly, stating that
jkhdsfkhdsafhjsahfdhksa.com does not exist. Which leads me to feel that it
would most probably be hosts file related. As the hosts file on both systems
are not doing anything weird i.e.:

Server2: ip.natted.lan server2 server2.mydomain2.com server2.mydomain2.com.

Server1: ip.static.wan server1 server1.mydomain1.com server2.mydomain2.com.

Although, as dns has already taken place (on existing domains it does
resolve correctly), it would seem that something is happening after
hosts->dns-> (not using nis).

So I'm pretty much at a loss here. Any help is very much appriciated.

Regards,

Ruben