5.4 vs. 6.0

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 02:53:51 PST 2005

jdow wrote:
> From: "dick hoogendijk" <dick at nagual.st>

>>> Better sleep during nights.  ;-)
>>

>> 6.x is the future :)
>

> I realize this is neither the L-word OS or the W-word OS. But the
> general industry trend is that newer versions are less reliable
> and stable.
>
> Are there some REAL advantages of which he should be aware or is it
> all puff and vapor? {^_-}

FreeBSD 6.0 is no less stable than 5.4.  It's also quite a lot faster.
If anyone is installing a new machine, the choice is a no-brainer: 6.0.
If you're upgrading, then you'll have to balance the time and effort
needed and the downtime for your servers against the benefits you can
gain.  6.0 generally looks pretty good in that comparison.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW