locking down a scsi device

Dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Fri Dec 9 18:40:40 PST 2005

Hello,
    I've got a 6.0 box that has two burners, one cdr and one dvdr. On boot
and until the event i'm about to describe when i issue a:
camcontrol devlist
or a cdrecord or the like command the burners are dev 0,0,0 and dev 0,1,0
respectively. Now whenever i insert either my external usb2 hard disk or my
256mb memory stick the devices change buses and id's, maybe going to 3 maybe
to 7 or whatever, they change. Through reading and google i believe the fix
is to lock the burners to specific device id's in device.hints. I'm not sure
how to do this as the examples i've seen reference a scsi controller, the
burners use the atapicam driver not a scsi card. In the same context i'd
also like to lock down the external devices, so that when they're inserted
they'll always have known values. Does anyone have a configuration like
this?
Thanks.
Dave.