Regular Expression Trouble

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Dec 9 14:12:27 PST 2005

	After reading  a bit about extended regular expressions and
having a few actually work correctly in sed scripts, I tried one in
egrep and it isn't working although there are no errors.

	I was hoping to get only the A records from a dns zone file so
the expression I used is:

egrep [[:space:]IN[:space:]A[:space:]] zone_file >h0

	Had it worked, all that would have appeared in the h0 file was
all the A or Address records.  Instead, I get those plus almost
everything else in the file.  It is obviously not filtering correctly.
Plain grep produces a 0-length output file so that is not too useful
either.  Putting double quotes around the RE didn't help either.

	It seems to match almost everything.

	Thanks for any good ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK