Error "Can't load kernel" on install boot-up

Rene Brehmer listbunny at metalbunny.net
Fri Dec 9 10:47:54 PST 2005

Hi gang, I'm new here. I tried searching the archives, and although I
found a post with the same subjec, I didn't find any answers.
Also posted this in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

I downloaded the latest i386 ISOs from the freebsd.org FTP, and burned them
onto CD-RWs (I used RWs cuz I want to be sure they work before burning them
permanently) using Nero 6 on WinXP Pro (10x disk-at-once).

When booting from the CD, the bootloader loads up, then has that twirling
line character, and then it stops with "can't load kernel", and a prompt
that simply says "OK".
I've tried a few times both with the CD1 image and the Install image, but
both dies at the same place.
There's a whole bunch of .ko files in the /kernel folder, so I assume the
kernel is actually there. It may be a hardware issue, only I dunno what as
I found 99% of all my hardware on the currently supported list.

Machine is Asus A7N8X mobo rev. 2.0, latest BIOS, Athlon XP 2600+, 1 GB
dual-channel DDR400 HyperX RAM, 160 GB WD Caviar SE 8 MB ATA/100 hdd, 40 GB
IBM Deskstar 60GXP ATA/100 hdd, Iwill/Advansys Ultra-SCSI-2 controller +
Plextor UltraPlex 40tsi & Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32tsi CD drives,
Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro 256 MB AGPx8 graphics on DVI to Viewsonic VX715,
SoundBlaster Audigy2 sound, 550 W Antec TruePower PSU.

The nforce2 chipset is supposed to be supported, and the rest is old enough
that I'd assume it to be supported by now (or atleast not cause a problem
since it's all PCI devices).

Any help would be appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have access to any
*nix system atm, so I have to use Windows to make the discs...

My only *nix-perience is with Linux, and FreeBSD seems to do load a
little differently.

TIA

Rene
--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

We have nothing to fear from free speech and free information on the
Internet but pop-up advertising!

http://metalbunny.net/
References, tools, and other useful stuff...
Check out the new Metalbunny forums at http://forums.metalbunny.net/